Held each year during the SHPE National Convention, the Nissan Design Competition challenges 24 extraordinary SHPE student members to develop and refine an idea related to the automotive industry. Students are selected to participate in eight teams of three students each over the four-day conference period, interacting with their peers, SHPE leaders, and Nissan engineers.
How the Nissan Design Competition Works
- Apply as an individual with an answer to the competition questions and a copy of your resume by Friday, September 28, 11:59 PST.
- 24 SHPE student members will be selected from the pool of applicants by Monday, October 15.
- Team assignments will be announced a few days before the start of the competition.
- Each team will develop and refine an idea to address a want and/or need within the automotive industry. The topic will be provided by the competition committee.
- Starting Wednesday night, each team provides a daily project briefing that is evaluated by the Nissan Design Competition judges, with a final presentation on Saturday morning by the top three teams.
- You must be present for every day of the competition, starting on Wednesday, November 7, at 6:00 PM to be eligible to participate!
- Four alternate spots will be available and those students must be present at all presentation sessions in order to be reimbursed for convention registration.
Please Note: Previous Nissan Design Competition winners are not eligible to participate.
Why Compete in the Nissan Design Competition?
- Prizes of $10,000, $5,000 and $2,500 awarded to the top three teams.
- Qualified individuals from the winning team will receive an opportunity for a Nissan summer internship.
- Competitors and alternates who complete the competition will receive full convention registration reimbursement after the convention. (Further details provided on day one.)
- Get exclusive competition gear to distinguish you from other convention attendees.
- Interact with and learn from your peers, Nissan engineers, and SHPE leaders.
- Participate in a presentation skills workshop led by Nissan and SHPE leaders.
- Receive 1-on-1 resume reviews and critique sessions with Nissan and other engineering leaders.
- Opportunity to participate in mock interviews with Nissan and engineering industry leaders.
NISSAN DESIGN CHALLENGE DATES
Submission: Friday, September 28
Competition: November 7-10
Winners Announced: November 10
Are you ready for a chance to compete against the most talented students at the 2018 SHPE convention? Do you have what it takes to win $10,000 team grand prize and an opportunity for an internship with Nissan?
To apply, answer the following questions in a total of 500 words or less.
- Regardless of development time and investment cost, what feasible technology feature would you adopt or enhance on a Nissan or INFINITI vehicle to set it apart from the competition?
- What technical and leadership skills make you “stand out from the rest” to be selected for the competition?
For the essay, please use Times New Roman font, size: 12, spacing: 1.5, and include your major, expected graduation date, and GPA. All applicants must answer both of the application questions, submit their resume, meet the deadline for submission, be registered for the SHPE convention, and be present for all four days of the competition.
Submit your essay and resume to ChallengeMe@shpe.org by 11:59PM PST on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2018.
Question? Email ChallengeMe@shpe.org.